Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Blue Light for Pruritus (an Itch)?

 




You frequently hear that some men are chick magnets. Have you ever heard that some women are insect magnets? I imagine cologne and scented soap play a large part, but studies show that many insects prefer women, especially Caucasian women. Unfortunately, I'm one of them.


I hadn't intended to do any yard work last Saturday without some repellent on my legs, but I never expected the huge bite I received while only outside a few minutes without it. I soon saw a dime size red mark that managed to enlarge to almost quarter size by the end of the day.


Then the pruritus (itching) set in. By early Monday, it was intense. I had tried ice, hydrocortisone cream (usually OTC formulas don't work), and benzocaine marketed for oral health. I even considered a trip to the emergency department, not caring how much anyone laughed.


Out of desperation and pain, I decided to try my LED device. I usually set the light to red, but I knew that the blue light treated some skin problems. Would it work for the extreme discomfort I was then feeling?


Yes, it did and it took less than 90 seconds. So far the symptoms haven't returned, and I've ordered a new bottle of Ben's to keep by my door. Stay bite free this summer, but if attacked by some of the little buggars, have a blue light handy.




No comments: